TOP POSTS

Nicole Aguinaldo | 23 year old fashion and lifestyle blogger from the Philippines.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Charmed by Old Manila

In all my 20 years, I never had the opportunity to visit Old Manila (how lame, I know).
Well, that is, until two days ago, when Nicco took me along to take photos of
iconic buildings and structures for his photography class.

Dress down, he said, so I put on a simple cotton razorback top and leggings and a
bright red beanie and matching flats and off we went on our first ever excursion to Old Manila.



Our first stop was the San Agustin Church in Intramuros, which was my personal favorite.


I've only seen it before in pictures and then only in passing. So, it
surprised me more than just a little.  I initially felt an eerie vibe when we got to the church because of how gloomy it looked.
But after spending some time roaming around taking pictures,
I began to appreciate its old world charm - from the intricate carvings on the main entrance door to the
two pairs of Fu dogs that stood guard on either side the door,
like the Gargoyles of Notre Dame de Paris (though I do know that the
Gargoyles do serve a practical purpose).
I felt dwarfed literally by its sheer size and figuratively, by its historical significance.



It is afterall, one of the oldest churches in the Philippines,
the initial structure built of bamboo and nipa in 1571 was razed by fire.
The wooden structure that replaced it was again destroyed in 1583.
Finally, it was rebuilt in stone in 1589 becoming the
first stone church in the Philippines.




Over the next 400 years or so, it has stood witness to 
floods and earthquakes of disastrous proportions, and 
the ravages of war and invasion.






Today, it is listed as a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO as one
A national treasure, indeed.



The San Sebastian Church was quite the opposite.
The church looked so majestic, almost like a castle. 

Trivia: The all-steel structure was completed in 1890 just a year later than
the Eiffel Tower, the first all-steel structure in the world.



I also liked the architecture of the Manila Post Office and the National Museum,
because I kinda felt like Marty McFly in Back To The Future
going up those steps! And yes, it did feel like
I took that time machine back to the days of old.
Too bad we weren't able to go inside and take pictures of the interior of these buildings
because it was either too crowded or they didn't let anyone in
unless you had made previous arrangemnts.





To end our day, we decided to have dinner at the
Harborview Bay restaurant just in time to watch the sun setting in the horizon.
 A perfect ending to our little adventure around Old Manila.




Outfit details:
Top, leggings and rings, FOREVER 21
Shoes, COTTON ON
Beanie, SM ACCESSORIES
Bangles, THE RAMP

If you like this look, HYPE it on LOOKBOOK

PHOTOS BY NICCO RECASATA

33 comments:

  1. I love your red beanie! And Manila is gorgeous!! You have a great side profile by the way :D


    xx Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love the way you have matcjed your hat and shoes :) Looks cute!

    http://everythingthatclicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely pictures, the place looks so quaint ! love the red beanie and the red flats!
    Do visit my blog and if you like follow on Lookbook, Bloglovin,Instagram, Facebook,leave a comment and I'll follow back too!

    http://feistyfoxdiaries.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog
    Check my blog and follow me if you like it and I'll follow you! XoXo
    http://cheremimi.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pop of red!!

    xoxo
    Dani

    https://danizooblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this place looks amazing! <3 your red loafer and your beanie are perfect together, I love this look! <3
    Love from France <3
    Cécile
    www.maxcebycecilej.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so pretty! Lovely pics!

    http://www.salonsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Che belle questi slippers

    http://www.cultureandtrend.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great building, seems a nice place! And, as i already said on instagram, i love that bright red touch ;)
    Kiss
    Yle

    www.wallofstyleblog.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  10. good outfit
    follow me <3
    http://thefashiondiamondsbygiusyesposito.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look stunning! i like your blog :)
    visit mine
    muffestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing outfit :) Thanks for visit my blog, its a honor for me.
    I hope in the future u visit my blog :)
    http://giusyslife.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/settembre-prodotti-da-acquistare/

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the pop of the red in this outfit!

    Today on the blog, the new Jijil collection… let me know what u think about it!
    Nameless Fashion Blog
    Nameless Fashion Blog Facebook page

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear followed you back on blogger and lookbook, if you like follow on Bloglovin, facebook, Twitter and Instagram too, leave a comment and I'll follow back !

    http://feistyfoxdiaries.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh it is beautiful there isn't it? Just love your outfit, the red accents are very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful photos! Great post!

    http://www.hiteastyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love the red accessories!
    x
    My newest fall outfit: http://onceuponasprinkle.blogspot.com/2013/09/fall-stripes.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful place and your outfit!

    missharibo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are so cute <3 lovely look
    follow each other?
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning look, I love your red loafers!
    Mafalda ❤
    www.mafaldadotzero.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  21. great post! your beautiful! would you like to follow eachother?
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. cappello carinissimo (: Reb, xoxo.

    *Sul mio blog c'è un nuovo post dedicato
    a un outfit, fammi sapere cosa ne pensi:
    http://www.toprebel.com/2013/09/4-passi-in-centro-con-le-mie-esparock.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cool look and you are beatiful! I invite you to my blog and maybe we will follow each other))
    http://suerte-maxima.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving the red pops of colour <3
    www.lerevasser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the look and perfect scenes. Those leggings are great.
    xo Annie
    New England Romance

    ReplyDelete